Friday, October 2, 2009

I'm alive awake alert enthusiastic!

I thought I'd jot down a few of the cultural idiosyncrasies I've noticed while over here. Because... some of them are pretty amusing, and I wouldn't want to forget them :)

1. Warm milk. Yes, you heard me right. Especially when put on cereal. Think of taking a bite of corn flakes... but when it hits your mouth you don't even notice the milk because it's already body temperature. We tried buying cold milk for breakfast with the facilitators one morning, but a few of them took their bowls and zapped them in the microwave for a couple minutes. I guess that's just the way it is.

2. I must go outside. Even Ted (from the US -- camp manager/facilities guy) has started using this one. If you need to go outside to do something, you don't say "I have to go outside and do something," you say "I *must* go outside and do something." Not too strange, I suppose, but interesting nonetheless.

3. Biscuits are cookies, and cookies are biscuits. It's the same way in Europe, but it always gets you when you go to the store looking for oreos.

4. Napkins, curiously, are called serviettes. Which is the French name for a napkin. I don't think it's the same way in (not France) Europe, but I'm not 100% sure. And for some reason, it's very hard for me to say the word 'serviette' with a straight face. It's just so... French.

5. Hot and cold taps. Now I don't claim to know too much about plumbing. But most of the hand-washing sinks over here (even the really fancy ones -- like on the safari) have separate hot and cold faucets. Call me utilitarian, but is it really that soothing to wash your left hand with scalding hot water, and your right hand with frigid cold water? This one I don't really understand, beyond the fact that the plumbing might be a little cheaper to set up.

6. Switches on electrical outlets. Why didn't the US think of this? All the plugs in the walls also have an on/off switch. It might take up a little more space (silly American efficiency), but I think it's worth it.

7. Exit countdown signs on the freeway. So say you're speeding along and you see a sign for the exit you want to take. Here in South Africa, you get three more signs before the actual offramp -- "///", "//", and then "/". It's like a countdown until you have to turn! Genius.


Ok, that's all I've got for now. Now for our leaders meeting and our last full day of camp!

1 comment:

  1. I love finding the cultural idiosyncracies! We loved reading shirts/books/signs that were attempts to attract American tourists- "Welcome to the Happy" was a fave. Still not sure what "the happy" is. God bless guys!
    love, The larsons

    ReplyDelete