Tuesday, September 22, 2009

day of rest

So today, much to my surprise, is basically a day off. There's very little on the schedule other than buy some groceries and go out to eat later tonight. I'm not sure if the lax schedule was intentional or not, but I think it's a good things. Partially because we're physically still a little bit wiped out from traveling (whether we realize it or not), and partially because it's a chance to connect with the rest of our team and prepare ourselves for the week ahead. So much of the trip up to this point has been go go go go -- it's quite a relief to have a chance to spend good quality time in the word, or read a book, or go out and take pictures, or just grab a nap. Way to plan things, team!

Also, today I had my first experience driving on the left side of the road. And sitting on the right side of a car while doing it. Really it wasn't too bad. The driving itself is pretty straight forward, and there's pretty good motivation to stay in the right (left) lane (eg, oncoming traffic). The part that probably confused me the most was the turn signal. It's on the right side instead of the left, and the windshield wiper control is also switched. Something in my brain just wants to reach out with my left finger when I'm turning left to hit the signal. Bah. But I only messed that up twice, so I think that's pretty good :)

This time we just went to a grocery store in a mall to get some food for the week, but I'll also be driving to our mini-safari and then into Philipi to pick up our facilitators. It's a little unsettling after signing a waiver today that mentioned getting mugged and robbed at gunpoint, but you know, that's what faith is for. Faith that my God is bigger than all the sin that goes on in this world, and that he "works all things according to the counsel of his will". How cool is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment